MEVAGISSEY HARBOUR TRUSTEES
Job Title: HARBOUR MASTER
Location: Harbour Office
Type of Position: Operations Manager
Hours 40 Week
Mevagissey Harbour Trustees are looking to appoint a full time Harbour Master.
This is a busy harbour dealing with commercial fishing and leisure operations.
The Harbour Master is responsible for the efficient and effective administration operation and control of Mevagissey Harbour in accordance with statutory requirements, Trustees policies and necessary commercial considerations, along with the management, instruction and development of the Mevagissey Harbour Staff.
The successful candidate will need knowledge of working within a port environment, including a sound understanding of the Port Marine Safety Code and the Guide to Good Practice in Port Marine Operations.
We are looking for someone that has the experience and drive to develop this harbour to its full potential.
For more details regarding the role and to complete an online application please visit the Mevagissey Harbour website www.mevagisseyharbour.co.uk/careers/
If you have any questions please contact Chris Gilbertson, Clerk to the Trustees, firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone 01726 843305
Application Form & C.V to be submitted via email by Mon 7th December 2020
Responsible to: THE MEVAGISSEY HARBOUR TRUSTEES
Duties & Responsibilities
1. Basic powers & duties determined by the Harbour Acts of 1774,1862,1888, 1892 & 1964 and any subsequent Marine and Coastal Access Acts.
2. Operate and be conversant with Harbour Bye Laws, Port Marine Safety Code, Port Waste Management, Port Operations Policy, Port Pollution Clean Up Policy, Trust Port Review & Modernising of Trust Ports, Open Ports Policy, H & S Legislation and any other relevant National Codes and Standards, common law and directions of the Board.
3. Represent and liase with outside agencies, local and statute authorities and other organisations, attend meetings where necessary or as directed by the Board.
4. Co-ordinate and liase with emergency services in any incident affecting the harbour and its users.
5. Facilitate the safe and effective use of the harbour including monitoring vessels entering and leaving harbour, allocating and ensuring maintenance of moorings. Monitoring and control of all vehicular movements and parking on the harbour. Conduct Risk Assessments where necessary and monitor and control harbour users and the general public in accordance with Bye Laws and Board instructions.
6. Manage and maintain the West Quay Fish Landing Area, Ice Making Plant and storage facilities to H & S and Environmental standards.
7. Manage and maintain the Harbour Aquarium reporting to the Aquarium Trustees.
8. Manage and maintain all Harbour Board property including quays, wharves, lighthouse, lofts, harbour office etc.
9. Daily checks on all areas of the Harbour with particular attention to slipways, ladders and steps, lifting equipment, forklifts and all mechanical equipment. Check temperature on ice plants and refrigerated storage.
10. Manage all Harbour employees issuing work schedules where necessary in addition to their normal duties. Where and when necessary delegate responsibilities to deputise for Harbour Master.
Carry out yearly appraisal of all employees.
11. Work with Clerk to the Trustees in all areas of administration for the efficient operation of the Harbour Office. Maintain mooring plans to ensure effective use of the available space for inner and outer harbour. Maintain records of landing dues and other receipts.
Identify, together with the Board, any new projects, source funding where applicable prepare business plans, costings etc., and process and manage until completion.
12. Attend monthly meetings of the Board and prepare monthly report with abridged version for public and press release.
Attend any other or special meetings of the Board or sub-committees as directed by the Board.
13. Any other instructions that may be issued by the Board in addition to the above.
14. Despite the hours indicated above a flexible approach will be required including a
willingness to work extended or extra late hours as necessary commensurate with
the responsibilities of the position.